Difficulties can arise in situations where a touch-screen PC or tablet is in use in combination with an STU or DTU-style signature tablet.
This is because the Signature SDK has to decide whether the signature should be captured from the touch-screen itself or from the external pen device.
In most cases, the SDK will prioritise the touch-screen (if it uses Wacom digitizer technology) and display the capture screen there, rather than on the external device.
If pen input needs to be obtained from a specific source rather than the default source, this can be done using a registry setting. In order to create this setting proceed as follows:
1. Enter regedit in the Windows search bar and run it with Administrator privileges - one way of doing this is simply to click on the Run as administrator option as shown in the list on the right-hand side below, then when prompted select the Yes option to allow the app to make changes to your device.
If you are logged in as an Administrator then you will simply need to confirm that you wish regedit to make changes to your device.
2. In the left-hand tree of the editor find one of the following registry keys:
i) For 32-bit systems and 64-bit SDK installations on 64-bit systems:
ii) For 64-bit systems with a 32-bit SDK installation:
3. Click on the sd registry key (shown in grey selection below) and look at the list of registry settings which appear on the right:
If there is an existing setting called CaptureService then it can be edited by double-clicking it.
If there is no existing setting then right-click on sd in the left-hand column and select the option to create a new string value:
The registry editor will then create a default name (as below) which must be overtyped with "CaptureService" (ignoring the quotation marks):
4. Once the new setting has been located or created double-click it and enter the appropriate value below as required:
|STU signature pad
|DTU, Intuos, Cintiq or other pen display device which requires installation of the Wacom Tablet Driver
|Touch-screen of tablet PC which has a Wacom digitizer. Such devices normally use the Wacom Feel Driver as opposed to the Wacom Tablet Driver
Touch-screen which does not use Wacom digitizer technology.
N.B. This will only work if a special licence has also been obtained to use non-Wacom pen input devices.
5. Please note that registry setting changes take effect immediately - there is normally no need to exit the registry editor or even restart the application for which the registry setting has been created.